Beaches and landing sites
IN THE VICINITY OF HOULGATE, FOR LOVERS OF WAR RELICS!
Between 15 mm and 1 hour’s drive, discover the greatest sites of the war:
- The Merville batteries Come and discover the blockhouses with mini museums, you can discover a parachute plane and you can also take part in a simulation of the bombing and neutralisation of the Merville batteries (sounds, lights, smoke and smells).
- The Pegasus Bridge: on this site you will discover the bridge which was used in the film The Longest Day, a museum to visit and the famous café which has remained in its 1940’s condition with a descendant of the family who was present at the liberation of the bridge still at the bar.
- Le Grand Blockhaus de Ouistreham : You will discover the life of the German army in a 7 storey building.
- Arromanche les Bains : with its museums and the remaining buildings of the artificial harbour which was used to unload the allied equipment. Important site to visit
- The landing beaches : Omaha beach where there was a lot of death and you can understand why such a disaster happened.
- The American Cemetery: you will discover this site with all these white crosses and you will feel a cold wind when you arrive.
- Don’t forget the Caen Memorial, a must-see site. You will have for the day to discover all these rooms representing the multiple French wars of the last century at the end of the second world war.
- And for the passionate, you can go to Sainte Mère l’église (soldier remain on the bell tower of the church), while passing also by the German cemetery of La Combe.